Do Unto Others as You Would Have Others Do Unto You
Generally, I tend to stray away from reglious posts and tendencies, not wanting to offend others. There are two subjects I have learned young not to talk about, religion and politics, but this stuck out as I saw this patient.
The nurse was an agency, continously bitched about her patients, our unit and her life. Our unit spoils its staff frankly, which pissed me off. You don't come to my home and piss on the carpet- you know what I mean? So as I took report I tried to shake the nurses bitching and try to see past it all- but I heard one of the patients were difficult. The aide urged me to write 'mean and snotty' but I simply wrote difficult, wanting to see for myself.
When I began working with the patient she was the farthest thing from, and when I asked this nurse to simply care for her patient she flipped at me and got mean and snotty with me. The patient asked that her medications and times be explained to her. I know nothing about this, having no knowledge in pharmacology and told the patient I would talk to the nurse about this. When I asked the nurse to do so, the nurse told me to go do it.
"No." I said firmly, feeling myself wanting to jump to boarderline bitch. "I have no knowledge in this and I am not about to go bullshit to a patient. This is YOUR job. Do it." My pulse was racing, I have never stood up to a nurse before like this, let alone an agency nurse.
"God Damnit!" The Agency Nurse yelled. "What is wrong with you aides!?" Then threw her papers down and stormed off into the room, only to return two seconds later, she went into the wrong room. As she emerged she snarled at me, "I have a life and I intend on getting to it."
"AFTER you care for your patients. You took an oath, now keep it or get out of here and let us get a real nurse, one who is actually decent at her job."
I'm glad I simply wrote difficult, because my patient was the sweetest person I had the chance to work with all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment