Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We opened the envelope and....

I watched him as he walked slowly to the mailbox, both of us having a gut feeling it wouldn't be there again. I felt my stomach drop as he dug through the mail and then held one envelope alone in a seperate hand. From what we had heard the results come in two ways; if you pass its a large envelope, if its a fail its a small envelope. He was holding a small one.

He jumped into the car and his hands shook as he started to open the letter and I immediately realized that it was the test results. I watched him, feeling the adrenaline pumping through my body, hearing my heart beating in my ears, all I could focus on was what happened when he opened the letter. He paused and looked at me.

"This is it." He said, then took a deep breath. We both knew that either way, one of us would win, but I really wanted him to get in. I wanted him to get his career started, but I also wanted to go to Paramedic school.

He opened the letter and let out a yell, then leaned in and kissed me. I pulled away and grabbed at the papers, looking to see the result. There is was in big bold black letters; PASS. I yelled in excitement and we kissed again, both feeling so excited. The results came, and they were good results to boot!

Some people would consider this a loss on my part, but its the farthest thing from it. I love my job, and this is what he wanted, so while he's studying up on laws, practicing traffic stops and attending classes I can put my focus on other things for a little bit (like a wedding and work!). Depending on the waiting list I may go to a 2 Month EMT-I class, but thats all in the future, and thats all after the paperwork is submitted. But now we know, and now we know what lies ahead...at least for a little bit!

8 comments:

Rob Walker said...

So you applied to medic School and he applied to... what?

...and I'm guessing you both can't go to school at the same time?

Dani said...

I am going to apply to medic school, he applied to POST (Police officer Standardised Training). He is going to be a cop, and his schedule is easy for that. It will take approx 9 months, so while he goes I will continue to work at the hospital.
From the looks of it we will then get married in the fall of next year, and then I will go to Paramedic school after that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going great for you two. Hope everything continues to go well.

Capt. Schmoe said...

See!!!! there ya go, this too will pass. I remember those waiting for the mail days, good times-not11
Congrats to the both a yas,
Schmoe

Unknown said...

Congrats to him!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dani!!!
It's been nerve wracking for us waiting to hear too. I'm so glad it's good news!!

Rob Walker said...

Good for you! Sounds like a great plan. The Fall '10 wedding and the POST class. Everything happens for a reason, right?

Keep us updated on what's going on and how the journey for both of you progresses!

Michael Morse said...

Excellent work, both of you!