I lay flat down on the table, with an excentric doctor and a curious resident looked over me. They respositioned my arm and then the xray, and then tried again. I sighed and then gritted my teeth together as I felt the needle dig deeper and deeper into my shoulder. "OW!" Finally escaped my lips and the resident looked to the doctor. Without a word she injected more nummbing medication and continued.
Everyone stopped at the sound of a crunch. "Well thats abnormal." She said casually.
"What does that mean?" I asked. She had no idea I worked there, she had no idea I understand medicine.
"Means you don't do enough P.T."
"Look, I did 4 years of P.T., one year of P.T. that the ortho doc told me to do. a year of P.T. that a doctor and a weight lifting coach came up with and two years of working as a CNA and an EMT. You can't tell me I am not working out my shoulder. I am." The doctor only stared at me as I defended myself. She said nothing in return.
After thirty minutes I was lying in the MRI machiene, a place I forgot was so tiny. As the tech and the student postioned me I felt my wrist twitch. I asked the tech if that was normal, she said yes and then continued on. As I got into the MRI machiene I felt my wrist twitch.
"Hold still!" The tech bellowed at me. I opened my eyes, coming out of my attempted zen state.
"I'm not?" I asked. Suddenly they pulled me out of the machiene and looked at my shoulder. I sat up and sighed as I realized what had happened. My shoulder was numb, so I didn't feel it slip out of place and now it was spasming. Without the feeling in my shoulder I could not put it back in place.
Two radiologists and a resident later I was lying still in the tube.
Today my shoulder is puffy, no longer numb but I hurt like none other. I know its what the surgeon wanted, and on Thursday I begin to schedule the surgery, but it still sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment