I became a volunteer EMT at the ripe old age of 16. I worked directly under a doctor and knew abosolutely nothing at the time about emergency medicine, hospitals, ambulances, or how to treat patients. I did it to be at the bike track.
Dr. C was excellent. She taught me everything I ever needed to know about crashes. I bandaged lots of road rash, and as they fell she taught me about c-spine injuries, what to check for and how to treat it. Before I knew it, I was calling the shots.
She was tough for us being only volunteers. If you didn't honor god and country you wouldn't be allowed to treat patients, let alone carry the jump kit. We were to stand for the national anthem, we were to follow all laws, irregardless of how stupid they were. We had to follow the rules of the sport, and only offer to help the racer after asking if they can touch them- including freeing them from their bike when trapped. She sat over my shoulder, watching intently as I cleaned up each case of road rash, and made sure I explained all the problems they could have with the injury.
It's been nearly 4 years. I have since quit volunteering but now, I can handle anything. Yesterday I got a phone call from my manager, offering me a better shift, with more ideal hours and better cases. She made a comment that made me smile, but think back to Dr. C.
"Dani, you are excellent with the staff and the patients. The patients families love you, and have told me that you explain things to them much better than anyone else on staff. We want you on days where you can help more people."
If it weren't for the three years I spent with Dr. C, I never would have gained the knowledge, the people skills and the ability to understand medicine. If it weren't for being a vollie, I never would be the employee everyone wants on their shift.
1 comment:
I really don't believe in "Karma", but I do believe what goes around comes around. Congrats on "days". Hope you are getting all healed up.
Post a Comment