Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Update: A Shocking PT Session!

I LOVE going to PT. The surgeon seems amused at how well I am doing this quickly- which I contribute to my age and my fiancee harassing me to not overdo it. The best part is when the PT tells me to relax my arm, then he picks it up, cradles it against his chest and then stretches it out, watching his face as he expects a stiff shoulder and finds a very nice shoulder is a good thing. They seem to be very pleased. I don't need any more PT unless prescribed by the surgeon- which he just may not do at all seeing how the last two weeks have been.

My limits (as set by the surgeon) are 0-90 degrees in front of me, circles as my arm dangles (generally I lean onto a table or over a chair) and rotating my arm towards and away from my body. I look like a rock-em-sock-em robot. Today we got to 110 degrees before I even asked how far out we got. My PT just laughed and shook his head, Bubba is convinced he was shocked.


I was asked a lot today about the pain and what I was feeling. I was honest with my PT, even though the boys didn't believe it. Little to no pain, however I did have a ton of tightness in the shoulder socket. The pain that I did have was a knot by my neck. Knowing it was from my brace I let the PT know, however after some rubbing and poking he determined it needed to be looser. "Want some shock therapy?" He asked.

My mind pictured an electric chair and my eyes got wide. Bubba burst out laughing and they both quickly explained to me what it was.
"Sure." I replied, figuring that whatever it was, it couldn't hurt too bad. He's only a PT after all.

He hooked me up to the machine (pictured above) and placed somewhere between 4-5 patches (seen to the left) on my shoulder, neck and back where the pain was. He turned on the machine and turned the 'pins and needles' feeling up until it almost hurt. He then placed a heat pack behind my shoulder and told me to relax for the next 15 minutes.

Let me tell you, it was heavenly. I laid back and closed my eyes, nearly falling asleep. Before I knew it the 15 minutes were up and they came in to disconnect me from it. The PT laughed as I asked him for more time on it- or to even take it home. He denied my request but told me that heating pads work. (I'm a chick, of course I know heating pads work!)

Since then I haven't needed pain meds. I am now two hours overdue and excited to see that the pain is gone. If anyone has the ability to have electrical therapy done, I highly recommend it- its very, very nice.

No comments: