Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Wiser Man

Growing up, my father used to always tell me, "A wise man learns from his own mistakes, but an even wiser man learns from others mistakes." During that time in my life I would simply roll my eyes and sigh, then continue on with my life.

During the last few days I have seen and done many different things that are just a typical part of everyday life. Things that most people wouldn't think twice about. However, some of these basic things just stuck out so strong in my mind, that the quote above nearly forced me to sit down and write in my blog today.

In medicine, we learn from other peoples mistakes daily. If a doctor give the wrong diagnosis, other physicians quickly fall into line to ensure that they do not also make the same mistake. If a nurse gives the wrong medications, they quickly create protocol to ensure that things are double checked. If an HCA charts the wrong set of vitals, we ensure that it is caught before the wrong care is given. Mistakes happen, but we always try harder. We try to verify we are the wiser men. However, real life is very different.

In real life, we don't always learn from others mistakes, even though we should. As a child, when my brother would say inappropriate things and got punished, I should have learned that I too, should not do that. Unfortunately as I child I had to feel the wrath of my parents in order to learn better. When it comes to family, some people make the same mistakes over, and over and over.

Human kind is meant to make mistakes. We are meant to both succeed, and fail. Its how we were born. How we were programmed. But human kind is also meant to grow. Fortunately after so many years of making mistakes, I have found that for once I have learned from others. Its a blessing and a curse, but it has made me that much smarter.

I wanted to take a moment to repeat the quote that my father had reminded me of so many times, because he was the wiser man in my life. Dad, thank you, for making sure that you taught me well, that you taught me right. I truly feel as if I have conquered a mountain in my life.

No comments: