Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Family

"Would you believe it has been almost ten years since I have seen my kids?" A patient asks me last night. "They are coming tonight, so I guess I just have to stay sick if I want to see them."

With Mothers Day being on Sunday and having family in town, and even leaving town to see Family this subject has been sitting heavy on my mind for the last few days. It seems to be all that the world wants me to focus on, with good reason.

People are really strange. When it comes to their health they either get admitted to the hospital without an illness or too far into their illness. They find ways to judge their place in life by who was able to visit them, not by who cared for them upon their arrival home. They take advantage of their loved ones, and they are oblivious as to what they can do to help.

I remember when my family has been in the hospital, and now that I work in one I really feel bad about it. I get militant, I get mean, but my family gets the care they need. The families aren't always so observant, and I have two emotions for that. Relieved- they are able to get great advice and just talk to their family, and Sad- because they are unaware of the condition their family member is really in.

I grew up with just me and my little brother, and my family made me remember it, when we had our spats, like all siblings to, I was reminded that I had to be nice to him, he was all I have. Unfortunately with my family, its true. I only have one, and we are so small that sometimes its depressing. As I am learning about life, and as I am seeing families, I see more and more people taking theirs for granted- inside and outside of the hospital.

Looking back on it and as I am seeing todays trends and society, I was raised very old fashioned. We said 'No sir, Yes Ma'am', 'Please,' and 'Thank you.' We held open doors for women, small children and the elderly. If it was something you wouldn't tell Jesus, you sure as hell wouldn't say it to your folks. But in todays day and age it seems like all of that has faded by the wayside and people don't understand the importance of their families anymore.

Over the last few months my family has expanded, not by law, not by marriage, not by childbirth, but by what I consider family. When it comes to family, its not always forced. Its finding someone who is willing to accept you and treat you like a part of their family, its finding someone who you can learn from, who you can love and have the feeling returned. Someone who will help you be the best you possible.

No comments: