Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I was that, Once

I was that kid, once. Standing in new bright blue scrubs, hands in the pockets, and a look on his face that let us all know he was new, out of place and scared to death. For his first day on the job, he did well. We had a rough patient load and he kept up, ignoring the sounds of the moaning psych patients and crying children. The unit is never quiet, but last night it was louder than normal, adding to the usual headache we usually all leave with. (I kid you not, at 2000 we all sit down in the breakroom and pass around a bottle of excedrin to get us to 2330.)

Luckily for him, I wasn't his orientee, the powers at hand probably knew better than to give me the new guy, mostly because I am known for throwing it at them like it was thrown at me. I was taught right, I was taught well, and I was taught how to do a tough job with compassion, my instructors theory was 'if a patient has to do it, so do you.' I have had nearly all of it done on me, and teach the same way. I was always told 'DO IT' and if I had seen it, I did it. This kid had seen hundreds of IV's discontinued, but refused to take one out (BTW, its the easiest freaking thing in the world to do, take tape off, stabilize IV, place gauze over IV site, gently and quickly pull it out and press down on IV site, stopping any bleeding. EASY.) I was amazed at the patience of his orientee, and how sweet she was too him. The powers at hand did well.

I was once that family member, once. Standing outside my family members room, talking quietly with the nurses, trying to figure out what was going on, why certain actions were or were not taken, trying to make sure my family was taken care of at their best. I always asked questions about lab results, when the M.D.'s had made their way in and why things were the way they were. However, we stayed in hushed voices, and this gal did not.

Luckily for her I wasn't the Nurse. The charge nurse took over and very sweetly talked to her about the care, treatment and why each task was being done, she even showed her the computer chart and the orders to best explain. She sat her down and even showed her the medications, explaining things so incredibly througoughly to the family member, as well as the patient. Watching this I couldn't help but smile, I love who the powers have chosen to charge, they are truly the best of the best.

I was waiting for test results once.....aw who the hell am I kidding....still waiting in test results. And I hate waiting.

1 comment:

Michael Morse said...

It seems we do an awful lot of waiting, then it all goes so fast. Good luck on the test, and nice work with the diabetic!