In medical dramas and TV shows you see patients who have been abused multiple times and the criminal got away. You watch as the doctors and nurses stare at each other and you can read their thoughts. Its a popular subject, but by the end of the 45 minute television episode all is righted in the world. The abuser is in prision for years and the patient has found herself and is happy. Its really depressing that real life is nothing like that.
As the doctors came in for rounds the nurse demanded they talk to her and that she recieve a psych consult. Phrases like 'my life in ruined', 'i hate my f***in life' and 'im glad i hurt, he dont hit when your hurt' were scattered throughout the night. There was no hiding it, this girl was a victim. The doctors only half listened as they flipped through the paperwork and then told us what we already knew - go to case management. Before night shift clocked out we waited to see case management go into the room- then paged the doctors again to ensure she got appropriate care.
All was not right in the world when my episode ended. The patient was still with him and he threatened her during the day, all things the other staff should have noticed. As I cared for her my heart broke and my pulse raced. I knew the problem would return in the morning and I worried about my patient and her care as soon as she left our unit. Sometimes worrying is all you can do.
I also got my MRI results back last night and spent hours staring at it, trying to see what the doctors could see, and failed miserably. However, I did find a way to save these images, and since I the patient give my consent, here they are for your viewing pleasure.


No comments:
Post a Comment