In my unit we focus on spouses and family just as much as the patient. They have sat in a waiting room for about 6 hours, waiting, hoping, while we operate, cut, slice, sew back up and take to recovery. They are nervous, anxious, and tired by the time they even get to our unit, and so are their spouses. I personally take in another cot and make up a bed, I rearrange the room and help them get settled so that they can spend that time with their loved one.
Last night as I went into a room to get some vitals I knocked on the door.
"Come in." The wife said. I continued anyways and passed her on the bed and stood at the patients side of the bed. The room was dark so I was navigating by the light from the hall and from the bathroom on either side of us.
"I'm sorry to wake you," I said softly. "I just need to get some vitals from you."
"I was already awake, but why do you need my vitals?" I looked to the patient and we both looked at his wife, trying not to laugh. I continued and put the blood pressure cuff on his arm.
"How are you feeling?" I asked him, looking at the patient. He kept quiet and his wife corked up again.
"Feeling really good, these cots are suprisingly comfy."
"My pain is about a 5." The patient corked up, and the wife jumped to full alertness, sitting up and wiping her eyes. We all laughed. Sometimes its the little things that add that fun to your shift, just like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment