At a red light in the sunshine, On a Sunday nothing to say, don't even try,
Some are coming home, Some are leaving town, While my world's crashing down
On a Sunday in the sunshine at a red light
- David Nail "Red Light"
Driving home is the perfect time to think about everything. On TV shows doctors hide in closets and sit in parking lots, but in real life we do it on the way home. You really can't unwind and think if you're still sitting in the buildings shadows. Don't get me wrong, I love the hospital and our addition to it has it looking just like it came out of a movie and is beyond beautiful, but you never see someone in scrubs sitting in the lobbies, cafeteria, or coffee shop trying to think.
Sadly some of the saddest shifts I have worked havent had the happy endings or even the justified final scenes. Once upon a time I thought that on the way home from work it would be dark, my mind racing, my radio up and a single tear down my cheek. Now that I have worked this job for a little bit, its easy to see that there is no such thing as one tear, there is no such thing as the radio up loud enough, and its almost never dark enough.
All medical professionals have seen those shows, and most generally enjoy them. Why? I get Scrubs, its a funny show and genuinely shows humor in medicine (as well as all different kinds of employees) so its a good way to unwind. However, shows like Grey's Anatomy, House, and E.R. really has an impact we don't see on our patients.
"So with my diagnosis, is it like house?" A patient once asked me. "Cause I've seen like 4 different doctors, and one is the boss-man. Do I really need that?" The patient didn't understand the system of residents, interns and our teaching hospital. He was also severly confused that the nurses knew more about him than the doctors did.
"I need a new doctor." Another patient said with a sense of urgency. "I cannot trust her. She has a ring on her finger and probably a zillion other problems than me." I stared at the patient, confused as to where she was drawing this conclusion. "Its like the hospital system on Grey's right?" She later on asked. Insert light bulb clicking 'on'.
Even at hospital orientation they informed us that our patients rely on TV to figure out what goes on in the hospitals while they are there. I see a BIG problem with that, and wish I knew how we could fix it. Until then, I turn the radio up and just drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment