I'm not used to life being like this, but I love it, I awoke to two of my best friends, pounding on the door to wake me up. I had only been asleep a few hours but waking up between the both of them and watching music videos was incredibly fun. Being once pessimistic, the belief used to be that events like this only occured in Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs reruns. Laughing over eye liner spread across my face, pondering life's questions, and even trying to lick our own elbows we acted like kids again, a rareity among almost all adults.
While out and about today I saw a couple things that made me realize how much I love the life I live, watching a fireman hose down some neighborhood kids as they played in the water (no worries bloggers, it was a smaller hose), waving to a fire truck on the go and having them reply with loud honks and waves in return, and having the amazing day I did with my friends made it all that much sweeter.
Last night I studied a ton from my EMT-I book. I'm still a little uneasy about it all, and I finally identified my fear, its that I'm scared that I will now have more responsibility for human life. Its one I want to have, but its a fear of loosing patients.
An Interesting point I read straight from the Text: You as the EMT-I don't define what the emergency is or whether the call is worth it. The patient defines what an emergency is for them. This reminded me of all the times we are dissatisfied with our calls, our patients and our teams, we don't get to choose what it is for us, we see it all, but we do it for our patients, and so we need to think in their best interest in all aspects.
What do you think?
1 comment:
The way I tend to think of it is that it may be just another "waste of time call" for us, but this also may be the only or first time that the patient may call on the ambulance service for help. How we respond to them will forever give them either a positive or negative view of what we do. They will then go and discuss this view with family and friends etc and before you know it, this one encounter has possibly changed many views of paramedics.
That's not to say I don't get annoyed with the reasons some people call 999. I will educate them on the appropriateness of the call (or not), by I will still be polite and caring.
Post a Comment