'Life, is beautiful,
but its complicated, we barely make it.
We don't need to understand,
there are miracles, in our path.' - Life is Beautiful, Vega 4
When your rushing through textbooks and studying all the time for a simple certification you don't realize that as soon as your in the job everything will change. At 17 years old, working in a nursing home really is no fun, your lifting people heavier than you, some of the things you deal with are unsatisfactory and in the end, you feel really empty, you worked so hard and your blood, sweat and tears seem all for nothing. But there was so much beauty there, how did I miss it?
Did the doctors just love me enough to send me perfect patients last night? Did the nurses and the other aide love me enough to make sure they were in great shape and completely happy? Maybe my patients got a memo that I was off my game (and for those of you who read my OTHER post, I apologize, even then I was off my game), either way the night went perfectly.
Last night I studied up on my drugs, and still feel overwhelmed, so I'm gonna keep studying tonight. While hugging a tube of Bacitracin, I sat and studied up on Atropine, Lidocaine, Adenosine and a few others, still not sure why I'm having such a hard time with it, however my nurse is excellent and is having me do all my on-line and in textbook homework, before sitting me down for the lesson. She even pulled out a few 2mL syringes and marked them with the dosages of the medication, so that I could see the tiny amount those drugs need.
But, my mind wandered, and before too long Pandora was on and I was busy making flashcards on all the information I had found, and before too long I was singing along to Billy Currington's latest song which has a fitting chours for anyone in medicine.
'God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.'
The drive home is amazing, no matter when I get off, but last night the city seemed to sparkle like a fresh cut diamond. As I drove home I kept thinking of how many hospitals and clinics I pass to get to work every day, and its a pretty large number,
however, it is totally worth every minute of my drive. So I turn up the radio and sing for all I'm worth, because this is life. It only happens once, and I'll never re-live this moment again. So wasting my time whining ain't gonna happen.
however, it is totally worth every minute of my drive. So I turn up the radio and sing for all I'm worth, because this is life. It only happens once, and I'll never re-live this moment again. So wasting my time whining ain't gonna happen. I also promised one of our nurses I would post this photo. She had to give me my final Hep B shot in the series and I was giving her a hard time, telling her that my band-aid better be pretty freaking awesome. When she slapped it on my arm (I'm a bleeder) I saw that and busted up laughing. This is my definition of patient care!
No comments:
Post a Comment