Dear Em,
I can't believe it has been three years already since we graduated EMT-B class, and high school. Life has changed so drastically since then, and it's hard to believe we've come this far. Some days I wake up, wondering where the time has gone.
We were assigned as partners in our EMT-B class within the first week. Neither of us were pleased- you would have prefered one of the other girls, or even one of the cute guys in our class. You had a few friends in that class- and I was not one of them. I didn't care who my partner was, as long as it was a guy. Soon I discovered that neither one of us got along well with girls and we became excellent friends.
Training became tough, but we exchanged e-mails, phone numbers and spent nights quizzing each other via I.M. since we were so many miles apart (approx 20.). We trained hard with each other and became fearless- overcoming those stupid obstacles that everyone struggled with with ease. Anatomy and Physiology became a breeze. Those papers we had to write each semster weren't as tough for us- we both took lots of college level classes and were able to proof read them with the other. Patient assessments got done quickly and with ease, and before too long we were spending entire afternoons practicing and timing each part of a patient assessment, just to find out who did it better and faster.
When our teacher told us that we would all be good friends, I didn't believe them. I didn't believe that I could trust anyone in that room as much as I came to trust you. When I was sick, you would bring over my homework and cold meds, and I would do the same for you. We told each other crazy stories, secrets and actually were good friends. I have never had a good female friend like you, and still to this day I consider you my best friend.
I will never forget the day we both arrived to school shocked and suprised. My father and your mother actually worked together! We didn't know how to feel, scared, shocked, supried, worried, and we both knew what it meant; we couldn't get in a fight. We never did fight though, and we never argued. Simple arguements were fought like boys, spatting it out quickly, and then forgetting it.
The weekend I lost my grandfather and one of my best friends you let me cry on your shoulder. We had participated in a state EMS competition and we placed 6th. Placing 6th was both of our faults, and we both could have placed 1st. We know it. I couldn't remember all the OPQRST's in order (which the judges required of us) and you couldn't get the oxygen tank completely set up and turned on. I was depressed about the competition, I was depressed about my friend, and I was depressed about my grandfather.
I didn't go to school on Monday or Tuesday, being busy with family plans, viewings and funerals. Once I did come to class though you and Dex pulled together to get me cards and balloons. I cried seeing how sweet the two of you were. It meant the world to me that you guys did anything at all.
Graduation was sad and depressing. I was thrilled to have my EMT-B license, but I was so sad to leave all the friends that I had made. Us Basics were family, and it's hard to leave your family. As we got our certificates and patches I remember our parents having us pose together, taking the one and only picture I have of me and my first partner.
Since then we have stayed in touch. You work at a mall and I work in a hospital. You are a sorority girl who is living and loving the college life, while I took the shortcut to adulthood and is living life opposite of you. My only wish would be that we would've had more time together as EMT-B partners.
Lately you haven't responded to my text messages or my phone calls. We don't e-mail or IM anymore. We have drifted apart. But thats okay, because I can't complain. My first partner was the best partner I could have ever asked for.
Thanks for being amazing Em.
No comments:
Post a Comment