Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Being a Grown Up is Stressful

I heard it my whole life, I knew it was coming, I knew they weren't lying.
But mom and dad were right- being a grown up sucks. I always thought the bills would be the only bothersome thing, but holy shit- they don't make it easy on anyone anymore. Between cars, insurances, bills, families, holidays, the job and all the in-between stresses of life- its a wonder any of us are still sane.

I have spent the last two days on the phone with doctors, nurses, schedulers and insurance pepole, all of which are trying to do their damndest to make sure that I am stressed to my max and feeling it. Frankly, it sucks. Insurance says the doctors didn't do something. Doctors say they sent it weeks ago. Insurance says to resend. They made me the middle man for this convo. Good thing my cell plan has lots of minutes.

Today I woke up and started the phone calls again. Will you send in my pre approval for surgery please? Can I go off this stupid antibiotic now? Did I get approved for intermittent FMLA? Which of these numbers is prime? What side of the bed do I sleep on? Can you tell I'm going insane? Which witch is which in deciding which way to go?

Once upon a time I thought it was all about making your own rules, and partying all the time, playing whatever kind of music you wanted, whenever you wanted. Thought it was all about you and your friends, staying up late, going to partys, college being about boys and fun, discovering yourself, making mistakes and not having a care in the world. Thought it was all about who you were and what you wanted- when in reality, it is less and less freedom than when I was a kid.

My little brother turned 18 the other day, (Happy Birthday Kiddo! I know you don't read this so I didn't write ya anything...sorry!) the Cadet and I sat him down to give him some words of advice.

"Listen to mom and dad kanoosh. You have more medical bills than I do and you do NOT want to have to pay those on your salary. (He works at a fast food place.) Also, come home 5 minutes early for curfew still, so they don't think you're out to break their rules. You have it easy here kiddo- don't make the mistakes I did."

But alas, at 18 you don't listen to your older sisters tried and true advice. Instead you learn for yourself. Like I said, being a grown up sucks.

No comments: