Thursday, October 8, 2009

New Scrubs

I am fully aware that I will only be able to wear them about 2-3 times before I put on a gown, but they stared at me, clean, sized to fit me, and my favorite brand of scrubs (the Grey's Anatomy brand, made for people who are well endowed). I picked it up and studied them, running my hands over the fabric. Nothing is better than a new pair of scrubs, feeling the freshness of them as you put them on for the first time. I sighed and walked away, trying to urge myself to leave the store, but I came back, looking at this scrub top. I had just picked up a new pair of bottoms from Wal-Mart, the kind with the medic pocket on the side. Finally I gave in.

That is the beauty of my job. I live my life in scrubs and wear them to work every day. Unlike others who wear and item for a year or two scrubs never go out of style, heck I don't even think they are considered a style. The only time I have ever tossed scrubs was when I worked in a Care Center, and I would toss those scrubs every two years- they had some nasty stuff on them and I knew it. Nowadays working on a surgical floor where my unit are the only non-sterile ones I am okay with not tossing them out every two years, because there is nothing gross on them.

Getting ready for work today I put on my new playlist, some odds and ends songs from Grey's and let my mind focus on my job. Finally I put on those scrubs and smiled at myself in the mirror. Nothing is more empowering than looking good and feeling like an EMT. My scrub top is cute and my bottoms are loaded with equipment, and knowing that, makes me feel good.

It's the little things that get me like that.

1 comment:

Breathlessness. said...

I know how you feel. I love the feel of new uniforms. Mine's a little different, as they aren't quite scrubs, but I love the feel of putting a fresh nurse uniform on, putting my shoulder pads on, and clipping my NHS ID badge too it, I love it, feeling like a nurse. And I also put on Grey's Anatomy songs!